Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ponderings

Last night, like most Thursday nights, I went to the temple. It's always a nice, needed boost in my crazy life. To prepare, as I drive there, I like to turn off the radio that's pretty much always on in my car and just have it be silent. And then, since I go so late, the person playing the organ isn't there anymore, so it's also quiet in the baptistery. It's so nice to just sit and be still for a while. I am able to feel so much more peace when I'm not constantly surrounded by noise from music, TV, and people talking, like I am pretty much everywhere else.

But what really got me thinking is that last night was a bit different. Normally I feel so uplifted and feel so much peace as I sit there pondering. But last night I started feeling a bit down as I thought about different things going on in my life. A lot of it probably has to do with how crazy this week has been and how tired I am. But I couldn't help but wonder if maybe I unconsciously use music and other media to turn out things I don't really want to think about. I almost felt uncomfortable having it be so quiet. I know that's really bad of me. But it really made me think of how important it is to really stop and decompress in silence. It may be uncomfortable every once in a while, but it really is necessary. And I really do feel better about life now that I worked out those feelings instead of just tuning them out through media.

2 comments:

  1. That's a really good point actually. I guess I do that too, I tend to listen to stronger music when I'm more emotional so that makes total sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete