Monday, October 5, 2009

The Baby-Sitter's Club


My favorite thing to read as a child was actually The Baby-Sitter’s Club series by Ann M. Martin. This series was about a group of four friends who had very different personalities. They decided to start a club, called The Baby-Sitter’s Club, where they met together a few times a week and were available for parents to call and set up times to have a baby-sitter. I loved the friendships that these girls had, and how the relationships and friendships changed and grew as the club got bigger and the girls got older. I was so sad when the series was discontinued, even though there were over 130 books in the regular series, besides all the books in the super special books and mysteries.

I loved The Baby-Sitter’s Club series for many reasons. For one, I was really young when I started reading them (probably around seven or eight), so I thought the girls in the club were so cool because they were so much older and seemed so much more mature than me. They also got to baby-sit, which I thought was really so neat, since I wasn’t old enough to baby-sit at the time. I also loved their friendships and was frankly quite jealous of them. They were so close, even though they got on each others’ nerves and fought sometimes. I really wanted to have friends like that. In addition, the characters had many characteristics that I could identify with or they had characteristics that I wanted. It impacted me because the characters gave me something to aspire to and to become. I wanted to be as cool as these girls and have the friendships that they had, and be a fantastic baby-sitter like they were. I don’t know if I accomplished all of these goals, but I’d like to think that I have.

2 comments:

  1. OH my goodness. I think I've read ALL of these. I was completely addicted as a child! Best series ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog post this week was also about the baby-sitter's club! LOVE it! I also, was jealous of their strong friendship! I was obsessed with it. :) so good.

    ReplyDelete