Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Hunger Games

Last week (actually last Friday), I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I'd been meaning to read it for a while, but I always feel so guilty reading a book for fun when I have so much schoolwork and textbook reading that I should be doing. But it had finally become available at the library and I knew I needed a break. So I started reading and I couldn't put it down. For those who don't know about it, the plot is as follows:

"The Hunger Games takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a rich Capitol and twelve surrounding, poorer districts. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol, every year one boy and one girl from each district are forced to participate in "The Hunger Games", a televised event whereby the participants, or "tributes", must fight to the death in an outdoor arena until only one remains. The story follows 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, a girl from District 12 who volunteers for the Games in place of her younger sister, Primrose." (Wikipedia.)

It was such an interesting social commentary, in addition to just being a fantastic story. I seriously couldn't put it down and I read it in less than a day. I'm eagerly awaiting getting my hands on the sequel, Catching Fire. However, I'm number 210 in line for it at the Provo library, and the BYU library doesn't have it yet, but it's on order. Hopefully I can read it soon!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear Hunger Games was good! I was thinking about reading it for adolescent development, but read a different book instead. I'll have to add that one to my list of must-reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that was good! I was kind of scared to read it since it sounds kind of like something that would haunt me forever...and maybe that's the point.

    ReplyDelete