Friday, June 4, 2010

Media at the Gym

So, for those of you who didn't hear me complaining in class last week about how sore I was (sorry about that, by the way...I got better!), I joined a gym last week. I've never been one for a traditional gym experience. I swam all during high school, but I've never been super into cardio machines or weights. However, I know that I need to work out, so I joined a gym. It's not my favorite thing, but one thing that really helps me during my workouts is having music.

I think I'm one of the last people who doesn't own any sort of iPod. However, my phone is able to store music on it (super grateful for that). It also has this really cool feature called "SensMe" where it plots all the songs on a graph of fast to slow and happy to sad. You can then use that to create a playlist of upbeat or slower songs as you feel like it. It's not always super accurate, but it's been good to have. I find myself working out longer than I planned on if I am listening to upbeat music. The music is able to distract me from any pain I may be feeling and keep my energy levels up. It's also fun to watch the TVs that are set up in front of the cardio machines. I may not know what's going on, since I don't plug in to listen, but it's fun imagining what may be happening. Thank you media, for making my workouts (at least slightly) more enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. I have to have my ipod when i work out or I can't last. I've started listening to books on tape too. It's just nice to have your mind on something besides the fact that your body hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I have to have my ipod as well. I think music can motivate and distract you when you need it most!

    ReplyDelete