Monday, November 2, 2009

Grad School Applications

I'm in the process of applying to grad schools right now and it's a total pain. I've decided to apply to five different schools and it seems like each one wants something different. Each has very specific prompts for the personal statement so I can't just use the same thing. Some want an expanded resume, others want a regular resume, and others just want you to write directly on the application what experience you have. Some want recommendation letters, others want recommendation forms filled out and no letters. It's really overwhelming to think of all the things I have to do to apply, and once I finally get done with everything, there's still no guarantee that I'll even get in.

But even with all the pain the applications make me go through, I can't help but be grateful for modern media, because it has made the process easier. I was able to research schools that I wouldn't have ever even heard of otherwise so I could feel like I've really made an informed decision of where I'd like to go to school. I'm able to e-mail the schools with questions I have and get answers back immediately. I can even fill out some applications completely online! So I really shouldn't complain too much. At least I'm applying now and not 20 years ago, when it would've all been by mail. A lot more inconvenient. Then again, 20 years ago it wouldn't have been so competitive...

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand what you are going through. I am applying to nine grad schools and I am in completely way over my head! Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete